Friday, January 22, 2010

{Haiti}

So I was going to blog some pics, but I'm watching the Hope for Haiti telethon and it seemed kind of unimportant to blog pics of my perfectly safe and healthy kids. I know that celebs can be seen as always jumping to lend a hand when there's a major disaster and some might think it's all for publicity or whatever, but man wouldn't it be amazing if ALL Christians we're know as helpers. Not just during disasters, but even during the small hard times in life. It makes me pause and think how focused am I on my comfort and pleasure rather than others and the struggles of those I know and love and also of the stranger that might live just down the street. Even more than providing comfort for the here and now we also have something more to share, something eternal that will last far beyond this life. One last thought... it only took a few seconds of shaking for the buildings to crumble to the ground... oh how tightly we cling to our stuff and why can't we (and by "we" I really mean "I") just remember that we can't take it with us and man if we think and earthquake can rock the world just think of what it will be like when Jesus returns. Ugg, if only I wasn't so thick headed and could keep a more eternal perspective.
So these are pics from Haiti and they're not easy to see, but they're not really supposed to be.

2 comments:

Grandma said...

Well said, Monica. I long for the day when I can actually say I live with eternities values in view. Some days the's progess, then the urgency of the minute gets in the way. Like, Paul, let's strive on!

mhessel84 said...

Monica, Thank you so much for posting that slide show. I know that Haiti is in the worlds prayers and I just pray for the strength when I go down there next week. I know god will be looking over me and that I will return a stronger person.